Brushing teeth every day is essential to fighting cavities, for both kids and adults. That’s why we wrote an earlier blog post with tips on getting your child to brush. However, daily brushing alone doesn’t always stop decay. Luckily, a simple preventive treatment can protect your child’s teeth: dental sealants.
When applied to your young one’s teeth, these super-thin coatings form a protective barrier against food debris and harmful bacteria. We suggest getting sealants for your child when they get their first molars (about age 6) and their second molars (around age 12).
Of course, they work best if your child also brushes every day with a fluoride toothpaste, flosses regularly, and sees us every six months for a checkup and professional cleaning.
If you’re interested in sealants for your child’s teeth, call us today at 720-637-1760. In the meantime, check out some of the benefits of treatment with sealants:
- Fast and Easy – The usual sealants process couldn’t be simpler. We typically clean your child’s teeth first. Then we apply a gel to prepare the teeth for sealants, rinse the gel off, and paint the sealant onto teeth. The final step is using a special light to dry it. It takes just a few minutes.
- Truly Effective – Sealants are applied to back teeth, because it’s especially tough to keep them clean. Bacteria often gets into the grooves on the top of those teeth and can be difficult to remove. According to the CDC, sealants protect against 80 percent of cavities for two years.
- Inexpensive – Treatment with sealants isn’t expensive. Many dental insurance plans will pay for them for kids under 18. If you don’t have insurance, you can get a discount on sealants (and other services) by joining our membership plan.
- Last a Long Time – Studies show that sealants provide anti-cavity protection for up to nine years. Though it’s not common, they can become dislodged. Your dentist will check to see if they are still in place at your child’s exams. It’s simple to replace sealants if needed.
- Won’t Bother Your Child – Dental sealants are so thin, your child likely won’t ever notice them. They are also clear or colored to match teeth, so they won’t be seen in your child’s smile.
To make an appointment for preventive treatments like dental sealants in Littleton CO, call Sprout and Bloom at 720-637-1760. You can also . Let us help you protect your child’s teeth!