Today is National Brush Day, which is a great time to reinforce the importance of good oral hygiene for your family. At Sprout and Bloom, we want your child to love brushing – or at least enjoy it enough so they will do it regularly.
We’re sharing some tips to encourage tooth brushing. We are happy to work with your child on their brushing technique when they visit our Littleton, CO office. Plus, we can provide anti-cavity treatments like fluoride and dental sealants to help keep their teeth free of decay.
To make your next appointment, call us today at 720-637-1760. In the meantime, check out our suggestions:
- Let Them Pick Their Own Brush – Tooth brushing supplies have gotten a lot more fun over the years. You’ll see toothbrushes and toothpaste with lots of kid appeal at your local store. Let your child choose colors and flavors they like. The three criteria for a brush: It should be easy for them to hold, the head should fit easily into their mouth, and it must have soft bristles. Hard bristles can damage tooth enamel.
- Make Bacteria a Villain – Most kids like to beat the bad guy. Bacteria is a dental villain because it causes cavities and other problems. Make your child the hero of a story where they defeat bacteria with daily brushing sessions. Since bacteria is sneaky, they’ll need to brush thoroughly to remove it from all the spots where it likes to hide.
- Put On Some Music – Many teachers know that putting on music is a great way to get children to do tasks without complaint. Play some of your child’s favorite songs while they brush. Make sure the songs are two minutes long. That’s the minimum amount of time for a good brushing session.
- Model Good Brushing Behavior – Until they hit the teen years, your child probably likes to emulate your behavior. Brush with them, modeling good oral hygiene. You can make crazy faces or show off dance moves to make it more fun.
- Give Rewards for Good Brushing – Another good teachers’ trick is to make a chart to keep track of your child’s brushing habits. Establish a goal, such as 20 good brushing sessions, and reward them with a favorite activity or treat when they reach their goal.
If they love brushing, your child should have a healthy smile! Yet they should still see us for regular exams and cleanings. We provide those, as well as specialized services such as pediatric crowns. If yu need to make an appointment at Sprout and Bloom, call 720-637-1760 now.